Mine. Not so pretty. I may have used too many veggies and
Mozzarella instead of Monterrey Jack. It was still yummy though!!
- 2 medium yellow summer squash
- 1 pound red or russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz of Monterrey Jack
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole dish.
- Slice the squash and potatoes very, very thin. (Mandolin slicer would be perfect)
- Place 1/3 of the squash and potato slices into the bottom of the pan. Layering them by alternating squash and potato but you could just spread them evenly.
- Season with some salt and pepper and half of the cheese.
- Repeat the layering with a 1/3 of the veggies, seasoning with S&P and sprinkling with cheese.
- Finish the gratin by layering the final veggies on top and seasoning with S&P
- Pour the milk over the dish then top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes covered then uncover and finish baking for 15 minutes.